Massive terror exercise planned for metro area | News
Operation Mountain Guardian is a terrorism-based, full-scale emergency exercise scheduled to take place in numerous locations in the Denver metro area on Friday, September 23, 2011.
The exercise will involve first responders from 81 different agencies**, will be conducted at ten separate locations and will include loud noises, simulated weapons, smoke, emergency vehicles and other equipment that will be audible and visible throughout the day.
The purpose of this advisory is to provide information that can be disseminated to the public ahead of time to avoid confusion or concern on exercise day, as well as to invite media coverage of the event.
- Operation Mountain Guardian will be held at the following locations throughout the Denver Metropolitan area:
- Park Meadows Mall
- Smedley Elementary School
- Denver Union Station
- Community College of Aurora (Lowry Campus)
- Denver International Airport
- Sky Ridge Medical Center
- Denver Health Medical Center
- University of Colorado Hospital
- Catholic Charities (NW Denver)
- Sports Authority Field at Mile High
- A Public Information Officer will be available at each primary location to coordinate safe access for media representatives and provide information. A Denver Joint Information Center PIO will also be available at 720-865-7695.
- MEDIA: Please contact the Joint Information Center or on site PIO for inquiries related to this exercise (not individual agencies). Media inquiries not associated with this event should continue to be directed to the appropriate agency.
- The exercise has been designed as a learning event for regional first responders to test their capabilities in a scenario that will involve a terrorist-driven catastrophic situation. Exercise play will occur at the four primary sites and DIA. Catholic Charities and Sports Authority Field at Mile High will participate in an administrative fashion to test student/teacher processing activities. Sky Ridge Medical Center, Denver Health Medical Center, and University of Colorado Hospital will participate for the purpose of testing medical surge capabilities and communicating within Incident Command.
- The exercise is scheduled to begin at 0500 hours and end by 1630 hours.
NEWS ADVISORY: Operation Mountain Guardian (continued)
- Operation Mountain Guardian is a terrorism-based full-scale exercise sponsored by the North Central All-Hazards Emergency Management Region, Denver Urban Area Security Initiative, and Front Range Metropolitan Medical Response System. The exercise is a Homeland Security Grant funded event made possible due to grant funding from the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) through FEMA Region VIII and the State of Colorado Governor’s Office of Homeland Security.
- The North Central All-Hazards Emergency Management Region is one of nine emergency preparedness and response Regions within the State of Colorado. The North Central Region (NCR) is organized around ten counties: Adams, Arapahoe, Boulder, Broomfield, Clear Creek, Denver, Douglas, Elbert, Gilpin and Jefferson.
- One purpose of the NCR is to improve Region-wide emergency preparedness, response and homeland security capabilities through coordinated planning, training and exercise efforts. This exercise is evidence of the growing public safety partnership between regional emergency response agencies.
- Operation Mountain Guardian is part of a Regional Training and Exercise Plan established in 2009. Planning for Operation Mountain Guardian began in January 2010 and has included several building-block events designed to prepare responders to effectively participate in the full-scale exercise.
- The overall Operation Mountain Guardian exercise objectives are:
1. Communications: Assess the ability to establish and maintain multi-agency and multi-jurisdictional communications in response to a terrorism incident.
2. Hazmat Response and Decontamination: Evaluate the capability to coordinate multiple hazmat response teams and assess their ability to perform initial response actions.
3. Public Safety & Security Response: Evaluate the ability to establish scene security and crime scene preservation, coordinate a multi-jurisdictional response, and manage intelligence information in order to mitigate the effects of the event.
4. Explosive Device Response Operations: Evaluate the capability to manage and coordinate explosive device response operations using regional bomb squad teams.
5. Onsite Incident Management: Evaluate the ability to implement the Incident Command System (ICS) and establish multi-jurisdictional command and control.
6. Triage and Pre-Hospital Treatment: Examine the ability of EMS to provide effective pre-hospital emergency medical care in response to a terrorism incident.
7. Medical Surge: Evaluate medical surge capability at area hospitals.
- While Operation Mountain Guardian is primarily a Homeland Security Grant funded exercise, the event will also rely heavily on local government emergency response agencies, military organizations, volunteer organizations as well as local charitable organizations.
**The following agencies are expected to participate:
184th Civil Support Team
51Golden Police Department
52Greenwood Village Police Department
3Adams County Office of Emergency Management
53Jefferson County Office of Emergency Management
4Adams County Sheriff’s Office
54Jefferson County Public Health
55Jefferson County Sheriff’s Office
6American Medical Response
56Lafayette Fire Dept
7Arapahoe County Sheriff’s Office
57Lakewood Police Department
8Arvada Fire Department
58Larkspur Fire Department
9Arvada Police Department
59Littleton Fire Department
10Aurora Fire Department
60Littleton Police Department
61Lone Tree Police Department
12Aurora Office of Emergency Management
13Aurora Police Department
63Longmont Police Department
14Aurora Public Safety Communications
64Louisville Fire Department
15Boulder County Sheriff’s Office
65Louisville Police Department
16Boulder Fire Department
66Metropolitan Area Communications Center
17Boulder Police Department
67Mountain View Fire Dept
18Brighton Fire Protection District
68National Disaster Medical System
19Brighton Police Department
69North Central Region
20Broomfield Police Department
70North Metro Fire Rescue District
21Buckley AFB Fire Department
71North Washington Fire
22Castle Rock Fire Department
23Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment
73Northglenn Police Department
24Colorado Division of Emergency Management
74Office of Bombing Prevention
25Colorado Information Analysis Center
75Park Meadows Mall
26Colorado Office of Information Technology
76Parker Police Department
27Community College of Aurora
77Platte Valley Medical Center
28Cunningham Fire Protection District
78Porter Adventist Hospital
79Presbyterian St. Luke’s Hospital
30Denver Electronic Engineering Bureau
80Regional Transportation District
31Denver Fire Department
81Rural Metro Ambulance
32Denver Health & Hospital Authority
82Sable Altura Fire Department
33Denver Health Paramedic Division
34Denver International Airport
84Sheridan Police Department
85Sky Ridge Medical Center
36Denver Office of Emergency Management
86South Adams County Fire
37Denver Parks & Recreation
87South Metro Fire Rescue Authority
38Denver Police Department
88St. Anthony’s Hospital
39Denver Public Schools
89St. Anthony Summit Medical Center
40Denver Sheriff’s Department
90St. Joseph Hospital
91Swedish Medical Center
42Douglas County Office of Emergency Management
92Thornton Fire Department
43Douglas County Sheriff’s Office
93Thornton Police Department
94Tri-County Health Department
45Englewood Police Department
95University of Colorado Hospital
46Environmental Protection Agency
97West Metro Fire Department
48Federal Bureau of Investigation
49Federal Protective Service
99Westminster Police Department
50Franktown Fire Department
100Wheat Ridge Fire Department
101Wheat Ridge Police Department
Upcoming Events near Downtown - LoDo
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Brothers enter guilty pleas in quintuple homicide at Fero’s Bar
- Police on the lookout for BUI: Boating Under the Influence
- Gun groups rally, hand out high-capacity mags on eve of new law
- Second boat accident in 2 days hospitalizes two people
- Safeway 5th Annual Media Bagging Challenge Competition Kicks Off Fundraising Campaign
- University of Denver warns about date-rape drugs after 3 assaults
- Police look for suspect in attack on female jogger in Denver
- Two Denver children missing for 24 hours found safe
- Residents sound alarm about possible imposter knocking on their doors
- 2 arrests made in Washington Park crime spree; Police warn residents to stay alert