In wake of scandal, firefighter calendar returns with new management | News
DENVER — The Colorado Firefighter Calendar left some people feeling burned last fall when the woman who founded the organization behind it spent money meant for charity instead, on herself.
Now, the calendar rises from the ashes under a new volunteer organization, Colorado Firefighter Calendar Inc.
“We are really excited about the future of the calendar,” says Barbara Brooks, saying the organization has two treasurers and a full board of directors to prevent any future misuse of funds.
The calendar’s new organization is happy the mission to help burned children, is back.
“All net proceeds go to Children’s Hospital,” says firefighter Tyler Capron.
This Friday is the first major event since the scandal: an audition for the 2013 calendar.
33 men and women will try out for 14 spots Friday night at the EXDO Event Center at 1399 35th St. In Denver. Tickets start at $40. You can buy them at the door or cheaper online at www.cofirefightercalendar.org.
Upcoming Events near Downtown - LoDo
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Brothers enter guilty pleas in quintuple homicide at Fero’s Bar
- Police on the lookout for BUI: Boating Under the Influence
- Gun groups rally, hand out high-capacity mags on eve of new law
- Second boat accident in 2 days hospitalizes two people
- Safeway 5th Annual Media Bagging Challenge Competition Kicks Off Fundraising Campaign
- University of Denver warns about date-rape drugs after 3 assaults
- Police look for suspect in attack on female jogger in Denver
- Two Denver children missing for 24 hours found safe
- Residents sound alarm about possible imposter knocking on their doors
- 2 arrests made in Washington Park crime spree; Police warn residents to stay alert